Sunday, September 12, 2010

Laying the Groundwork

Before Jack passed away, my kids were already flipping through dog books trying to decide what dog to get next. I'm sure they weren't trying to be insensitive, they were just trying to keep a sense of continuity. As I mentioned, they have never known our house without a big dog in it. They pictured themselves with a dog that would play with them, fetch a ball, watch through the window to see them come home from school, and all the other qualities a dog on a typical sitcom family would have. I have to concur, I always dreamed of owning a big dog that was impeccably trained: would walk diligently beside me without a leash, woke me up in the night to alert me of an intruder or fire, a regular Lassie-type that would bring me the paper (this dream was obviously pre-internet and mobile device, where I get all my news content nowadays....I have zero desire to have a large slobbery dog bring me my IPhone) and would understand every command and be eager and willing to please.

With the exception of the "big" part, Jack was none of these.

By August, the desire to fill the void left by Jack bubbled to the surface and I set out on a journey to find a new dog that would fulfill my dreams and hopefully give the kids their sitcom-family pet as well. in February I had instinctively taped the Westminster Dog Show on the DVR and had yet to watch it...maybe an omen? I knew that is I was going to sell my husband on getting a new (big) dog I was going to have to do some research that went beyond pictures in a book. I was going to have to enter the fight fully-armed, with video! I sat down with a pen and pad of paper to watch the show and jot down the times on the DVR when a dog would come up that I liked.

Although I already knew what I was looking for.

I jotted down a few breeds and where they were in the show, just to make it look like I was giving him options, but the one I wrote down in bold face and underlined was the one I knew it had to be.

The Bernese Mountain Dog.

So......just what was I getting myself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment