Saturday, September 25, 2010

Allow Myself to Introduce...Myself

I suppose since you have some background info already, it appears that perhaps formal introductions are in order.

Bodie and Leila were born on July 1st on a farm in Iowa.  They had plenty of siblings, and even a litter of cousins who were born two weeks prior.  So there was never a lack of playmates when running about on the back forty.  They also had nine human siblings to make a big fuss over them, so when they came to live with us, they were well socialized and ready for the rough-and-tumble play that comes with living in a  family with children.

Bodie is a shy and sweet boy.  He is a little cautious but will eventually get close enough for an ear rub or cuddle.  His first reaction when I put my hand down near him is to flinch, but then he sniffs and accepts a pat on the head.  He is never aggressive, doesn't play-bite, loves toys and rough-housing with his sister.  The first thing we noticed about Bodie was his big paws.  You can tell just by looking at those feet that he is going to a big guy!  Good thing he is so gentle.  Sometimes his gentle nature works against him, like when his sister flies in to steal his spotlight and he just fades back and lets her have it.  I'm sure there is an eye-roll in there somewhere!  His agenda is to let his sister try it first, then he'll follow if it's safe.  No fool there!  He is sly and conservative, but can be silly and charming when the time is right.

Leila is what we call the anti-Bodie.   She is very vocal, boisterous, and not lacking in energy in the slightest.  If I sit on the floor, she appears virtually from nowhere and piles into my lap like a football tackle, demanding to be noticed (which is hard not to do!)  She is also teething more than Bodie, and gnaws on anything within reach.  Her teeth do the talking, often saying things like "What a marvelous filet of flip-flop" or "Your toes are my favorite flavor!" or my favorite, "Pant leg?  Why yes, don't mind if I do!"  My forearms are so dotted with scabs they look like barnacles.  But for all her bravado and zeal, Leila is also a sensitive gal.  When the family cat gave her five sharp across the nose in response to her invading his space, Leila ran to the nearest human (in this case, me) for comfort and soothing, jumping into my lap and putting both paws on my shoulder and her face against my neck.  If she could have turned around and stuck her tongue out at the cat, I'm sure she would have.  She is a flirt, cheerleader and class clown all rolled into one.


The pups have been with us for three weeks now, and already they have put on more than six pounds each.  Like toddlers, they play hard in the morning, running outside with fully recharged batteries that only a good night's sleep or double-espresso can give (pretty sure it's the former with them but wouldn't put it past them) and then a few hours later, plop onto the cool granite fireplace hearth and crash like a house of a cards in a hurricane.  They will nap for a few hours which is when I usually do the same!  New mothering books always tell you "Sleep when the baby sleeps"....won't have to tell me twice!  By this point  in the day I am exhausted already.  I'm not quite sure who is adjusting to who's schedule here!  Maybe we are all just meeting in the middle for now.  They are getting more dialed into a routine, and I am trying to freak out just a little less when Bodie gets the hiccups or Leila is chewing on a stick of unknown origin.  New mothers are the same, no matter what the species, I suppose!

No comments:

Post a Comment